Title: Director of Development
Immediate Supervisor: VP Development
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (additional hours as needed)
FLSA Status: Exempt
General Summary: Responsible for the strategic execution of land and vertical development efforts (for mixed-use developments in excess of $200M) including project initiation, planning & design, budgeting, resource allocation; construction monitoring and communication while ensuring alignment with the company’s short and long term goals
Essential Job Functions:
- Formulates and defines the scope and objectives of various projects
- Gathers and documents project requirements and ensures completion of the necessary feasibility studies, designs and entitlement processes including resource plans, schedules and work plans to produce final project plan
- Reviews, coordinates, and recommends approval of all changes that occur during the planning process
- Revises plans and schedules as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements
- Leads the development of financial models to evaluate project viability and analyze/forecast cost estimate data for project proformas
- Prepares and monitors project-related budgets, proformas, documentation outlining staffing requirements including engagement of consultants and contractors
- Develops and implements RFPs and reviews and qualifies vendor bids
- Reviews and administers all project contracts including those from consultants, contractors, etc.
- Provides recommendations for project/contractor awards
- Manages the day-to-day operational and tactical aspects of assigned projects
- Coordinates the project team comprised of internal departments and external operating partners to manage the scope, layout, design and other criteria regarding the project
- Oversees contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, tenants, etc. during all phases of the projects
- Monitors and reports project activities to ensure each project phase is progressing on schedule and within prescribed financial parameters
- Interfaces with project teams and customers (as appropriate) to manage day-to-day interactions
- Responsible for maintaining communication and providing timely and accurate project documentation and reporting regarding project scope, design, budget, quality and schedule agreements
- Facilitates team meetings for purposes of project planning, communicating project information, status updates and to address issues
- Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely manner and communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully
- Enforce standards and procedures for project planning, design, reporting, decision making, and documentation
- Ensures all project documentation is complete, current and stored appropriately
- Provides oversight and evaluates contractors ensuring adherence to project and quality standards and addressing issues as necessary
- Closes out projects for transfer with all required certificates, inspections and documents as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork, collaboration and build relationships Demonstrated understanding of bidding and procurement requirements
- Understands critical path management and the utilization of schedules to establish timelines, meet deadlines and prioritize appropriately
- Ability to coordinate all activities related to the planning and construction of development projects
- Previous demonstrated experience managing individual projects in excess of $200M
- Must have knowledge of the local, state & federal jurisdictions required to obtain all necessary permits.
- Must be able to maintain a positive and productive work attitude and a team orientated mind-set with the ability to maintain good relations with employees, supervisors, governmental agencies and clients
Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree in construction management, engineering, operations, architecture, business or other related discipline or equivalent experience. MBA or Master’s Degree in Real Estate preferred
- Minimum of ten years of related real estate experience in development, project management, construction management or other relevant field (hotel and mixed-use project experience preferred)
- PC proficiency to include (but not limited to) Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Familiarity with Microsoft Project or other Project Planning/Tracking software preferred.
- Experience in conceptual land planning, zoning, environmental analysis, law, and general real estate activities
- Successful completion (start to finish) of mixed-use developments in excess of $200M
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Must be physically able to do assigned work as outlined above. Must be physically able to sit and use the computer as required.
- Must be able to navigate rough and uneven terrain during on-site inspections.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to communicate in English (written and verbal) effectively with other individuals.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this position. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duty requested by the supervisor.